Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

This Week in Tiny Babies

Today marks 2 full weeks off dairy/soy (protein)/egg/wheat.  I was momentarily bummed I couldn't have cake at my niece's birthday, but otherwise it wasn't a hard week, diet-wise.  Having this blog and nice dinners to look forward to helps a lot.

Teagun isn't improving as quickly as I would like.  I keep telling myself that getting the dairy out of out systems can take up to a month, but I still keep wondering if I should cut more.  Although, we did have a pretty good day yesterday: he spent almost the entire day spit-up free, until the evening, when we had a few, smaller expulsions.  Not his usual constant gushing.  He also seemed in a generally good mood, better than usual, so I'm taking that as a step in the right direction as well.

Today he weighed in at 9 lbs 2 oz on our scale (he was 8 lbs 15 oz at the doctor's yesterday), which is 5 ounces up from last week.  I'd prefer to have him averaging an ounce a day, but we'll take what we can get.  Measuring 24 inches long, that puts him in the 80th percentile for length, 6% for weight, and below the chart weight for length.  :(  Gotta chunk this baby up, get him on the chart.  :-D

Yesterday was Teagun's 2 month Well Baby visit, which I have been anxiously ambivalent about.  I know that having a doctor on our team will certainly help us pin-point exactly what's going on (Are all his problems dietary?  Is some of the reflux a more mechanical problem?  Is there something else entirely going on?), but I worried that he would try and strong arm the formula idea, which I'm against for many reasons.

Turns out I didn't really have anything to be afraid of.  The doctor briefly asked if we were interested in trying formula, and when we said no, he didn't mention it again.  He didn't seem overly informed regarding food intolerances in breast-fed infants, but he clearly respected that I was, and listened to my whole spiel about what I thought was going on, why, and what we were doing about it.  He took notes, asked questions, and encouraged us to keep up the good work.  He made a referral for a pediatric gastroenterologist without us having to ask, and ordered a sonogram to rule out any sort of obstructions.  He also prescribed Zantac for the reflux.  We're going to see how the next few days go, regurgitation-wise, before giving that a try.  All-in-all, I felt very positively about the visit.  Teagun has an ultrasound next Tuesday, and sees the Pedi GI a week later.  I feel like we're really on our way to getting him growing.  :-D

3 comments:

  1. Always helpful to have an attentive, flexible MD. Going through Seth's illness made me realize how rare they are! Glad things are improving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiff ~ you are such an incredible Mommy! You amaze me with your resourcefulness, dedication, and discipline (among the million other ways that you amaze me). Teagun and Kismet are so very lucky to have you. :-) I am so lucky to have you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Teagun! Maybe he'll become a world famous chef after all his troubles are solved.

    ReplyDelete