Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

Corny goodness

I'll admit I have not given this recipe a try, although I promise I meant to today, if that counts for anything.  :)  The past few days I've been absolutely lacking in motivation when it's come to breakfast, and have mostly been eating grapes, and a banana with peanut butter (oh, I also had some leftover quinoa pasta this morning).  But you, dear reader, should be feeding yourself better than that.  And you might want to give the following recipe a try.  It's borrowed from Kris at CHG who adapted it from Mary Ostyn's Family Feasts for $75 a Week (I really need to get my hand's on this book).  When I finally get my lazy butt around to trying it, I will adapt it one step further, with my almond milk and vegan margarine.  Mmm, delicious and nutritious.  :-D

Mary Ostyn’s Maple Morning Polenta
http://cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com/2009/09/maple-morning-polenta-chili-corn-pone.html
Makes 6 servings

3 cups cold water
1-1/2 cups 1% milk
2 cups cornmeal
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup pancake syrup, plus more for serving
2 tablespoons butter
½ cup raisins or dried cranberries

NOTE from Kris: This is an easily scalable recipe. If you’re making it for one or two, however, the cooking time will be A LOT faster. Also, I used 1% milk (which worked well), but Mary’s original recipe calls for regular milk. Finally, I like Aunt Jemima Butter Lite syrup. It’s 100% chemicals, but I can’t help it.

1) Combine water, milk, cornmeal, and salt in a medium-size saucepan, stirring briskly to combine. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture reaches a boil, about 10 minutes.

2) Reduce heat to low. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens.

3) Remove from heat. Stir in pancake syrup and butter; ladle into bowls. Top with additional syrup and sprinkle with raisins just before serving.

Approximate Calories, Fat, Fiber, and Price Per Serving
296 calories, 5.4 g fat, 4.7 g fiber, $0.50

No comments:

Post a Comment