Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Outta the mouths' of Stupid People

Okay, the title is, admittedly a little harsh, but it's my blog, I do what I want.  :-p

It's officially been a week now that I've made the changes in my diet (cutting out wheat, milk, eggs and soy).  Teagun is 8 weeks (1 day) and 8 lbs 13 oz today.  I should have made note of when I last weighed him (sometime last week), but he was 8 lbs 9 oz then.  So, up is good, although I wish I knew how long it took him to gain 4 oz.  Having record here will help.  That makes him in the 4th percentile for age, and if my length measurement of him was correct (~22.5 inches), he's less than 1st percentile weight for length.  :-/

He's still spitting up like the Exorcist, but I haven't noticed any green poops for the past 2 days.  Haven't noticed much improvement in his demeanor or sleeping habits yet, but it's still earlier in our diet trial.

It hasn't been terribly hard to slip back into the diet, but the hardest parts have been the little habitual things, like not licking the spoon when dishing my Kismet's yogurt, or taking a swig of milk after eating some peanut butter.  The only time I've really wanted something I couldn't have was garlic bread at my in-laws.  It smelled so good!

I keep having dreams that I accidentally eat "bad" foods, but the only actual mistake I made (to my knowledge) was some dry roasted peanuts.  I ate a small handful before it occurred to me that peanuts might not be the only ingredient (duh).  Turns out, among other things, soy protein is needed to make dry roasted peanuts.

Monday was my only moderately down day.  We went to an Italian restaurant with family.  On the way there, I had figured there wasn't anything I'd be able to eat, so I was just planning on hitting up Chipotle afterwords (lucky me, there was one in the same shopping center).  But then when we got there, I was excited to see the menu said they had gluten-free pasta, and they were happy to work with dietary restrictions and vegan diets.  Score!  When the waitress came, I asked if the gluten-free pasta had egg in it.  She seemed flustered by the question and went to check.  Yep, sure enough, egg in the gluten-free pasta.  :-/  So I asked if the fries had wheat or soy in them, and again, while nice, she seemed so confused by the questions.  She went back to check, but apparently they had already thrown the box out.  So I just gave up at that point.  It was just a bit of an upsetting and frustrating reminder that my eating out options are going to be few and far between for a while.

Hooray for Chipotle, though!  :-D  Although the visit to Chipotle didn't make me feel too much better.  A woman started cooing over Teagun, and I know she was just trying to be nice, but I was a bit sensitive at the time.

Well-meaning lady: "Oh, a little one!  Is he brand new?"
Me (so tired of this question): "No, he's 2 months old, just little."
Lady: "Was he a preemie?  He's so tiny!" (Really, hadn't noticed.  :-/ )
Me: "Nope, just little."
Nosy lady: "How big is he?"
Me, fudging a bit: "Almost 9 pounds."
Annoying lady, to her son: "That's how big you were when you were born!"

Yes, I know he's small.  I'm not thrilled about it.  I'm doing everything I can to try and rectify it.  I know she's not, but I can't help thinking she's judging me, thinking I'm starving my baby or something.  I'm so not looking forward to his 2 month Well Baby visit next Monday for this reason.  I'm afraid his pediatrician is going to think I'm starving him (nevermind that he eats almost all the time he's awake, and half the time he's asleep) and push formula.  Wish us luck.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment